Different Visas for Working in Singapore –

Incorporation of company

For an extended period, foreigners looking to stay in Singapore for work or other purposes will first require a visa. There are several types of visas that one can apply for from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). The type of visa to be applied depends on the applicant’s skill level and monthly remuneration. Hence, applicants need to know which visa they should apply for. Our team at OneStop Professional Services has broken down the differences between some of the visas you can apply.

S Pass

The S Pass is a work visa for skilled and semi-skilled foreign workers. To apply for an S Pass, applicants should have a monthly remuneration exceeding $2,200. The pass is to be renewed biannually, and the application must be made by the applicant’s employer. Should monthly remuneration exceed $4,000, the applicant’s family members will also be able to visit Singapore. Companies face certain restrictions regarding the number of S Pass holders they can employ. The percentage of S Pass employees in companies in the service sector is capped at 15%, and 20% for companies in other sectors. It is also required for companies to pay a monthly levy based on the number of S Pass employees under their employment.

Employment Pass

The most common visa is the Employment Pass (EP). The EP is for white-collar foreign workers with top-notch skills and experience. They are deemed as professionals in their area of expertise and usually look for executive or managerial jobs. The MOM will evaluate whether the applicant’s abilities are sufficient to provide an edge to their respective areas of expertise. To apply for an EP, applicants are required to have a monthly remuneration greater than $3,600. The pass needs to be renewed biannually and should be applied for by the applicant’s employer. The EP makes it easier for the applicant to attain a Permanent Residency in the future.

Personalized Employment Pass

The Personalized Employment Pass (PEP) is for professional workers with monthly remuneration exceeding $18,000. Unlike the EP, it allows the applicant to live in Singapore without employment. It also provides more freedom in terms of employment, with no restrictions on the sector or type of employment. Additionally, the pass is not renewable, and it expires after three years. Following this, should the applicant wish to apply for Permanent Residency, he must first apply for an EP.

Entrepreneur Pass

The Entrepreneur Pass is for foreigners who intend to start a new company in Singapore. It is meant for applicants that are deeply experienced with entrepreneurship. To apply for an entrepreneur pass, the applicant’s company must be registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) as a private limited company. It should have a paid-up capital of more than $50,000. The company also needs to first qualify as either an Entrepreneur, an Investor, or an Innovator to apply. The pass needs to be renewed annually, and it grants one easier access to Permanent Residency.

Related link-
Audit firm in Singapore
Incorporation of a company
Nominee director in Singapore

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.